July 4, 2008

Testing

I recently managed to squeeze a test in at Rye House in between clearing the garden and trying to finish the bathroom - a welcome break!

The weather was extremely hot so the tyres which were just about on there last legs would definately get a work out.
With me was my best mate Vince (grandson of the author of retiredandcrazy.com) and the racer with the best sideburns in karting - Chris Kasch.

We spent the majority of the day changing small aspects of the karts geometry to see if it improved the feel of the kart and I also worked hard at my body positioning, I have recently modified the visor of my helmet so it makes me keep my head up and therefore my shoulders back - the difference this made to rear end grip was astonishing and I learnt a lot and with Chris's help I was able to improve my lines and my consistency - now I just need to go faster!

In terms of lap times i didnt actually improve on my PB but I dont think its quite so easy in testing when you dont have anyone to follow like in a race situation - i'm definately a better racer than I am a qualifier/tester.

What I did manage though is gather a great amount of data from my Mychron4 datalogger so when I have got my head around the software I will compare sessions against each other.

We did manage to find out that my kart is a decent chassis as Mr Sideburns had a session in my kart and immediately put in a bandit lap 9 tenths of a second quicker than me (in my own kart!), was I annoyed? not at all, it means that the kart works and now I just need to work on my driving, easy huh! Just drive faster was the advice I was given...

Vince drove the kart once we had set it up to be driveable, it was the first time he had driven it in the dry and I think by the look on his face he enjoyed himself - I just have to convince him to buy one now...
He steadily improved his times and his lines, he just now needs to be more agressive to improve things further.

No comments: