September 15, 2008

New circuit - Kimbolton

Saturday was my first test at Kimbolton near my home town of Huntingdon, I would be employing the critical eye of Chris "Sideburns" Kasch and my good friend Andy to help me out in what would turn out to be a testing day.

We found a few mechanical issues and a bit of lairy driving from myself caused us a little upset to begin with but once I had got my lines sorted it would be time to actually learn the circuit which I found to be fantastic and very quick in places.

It didn't help that my tyres were absolutely dead but it wasnt worth burning out a new set just to learn the place so it was all a voyage of discovery and I discovered most of the grassy areas of the circuit!

The last 2 sessions of the day went very well, I managed to keep it on the circuit for 2 whole sessions and after making some small set up changes found the kart to be much easier to drive.

We learnt a lot about setting the kart up and with Chris's ever watchful eye my pace improved steadily throughout the day, finally setting a reasonable lap time - it was still not quick enough for my liking but with another test day and new tyres i'm confident of making a chunk of time.

I'm planning on doing the next round at Kimbolton in October, I cant wait!

Thanks to Chris and Andy for their invaluable help throughout the day.

No comments: